Depression is a common illness that can interfere with daily life and relationships. While everyone feels sad on occasion, depression is an ongoing illness with varying severity, frequency and duration of symptoms often unique to the individual. Common symptoms can include:
- Ongoing feeling of sadness or hopelessness
- Irritability and restlessness
- Fatigue and decreased energy
- Difficulty concentrating
- Loss of interest in previously enjoyable activities
- Insomnia or excessive sleeping
- Overeating or loss of appetite
- Thoughts of suicide
Individuals with depression usually exhibit several of the above symptoms for at least two weeks. Those diagnosed with depression can be effectively treated through a combination of medication and therapy as directed by a healthcare professional.
For more information, please call 843-747-5830; we are here to help.